Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle

Ah, the gun that started it all. This is the first gun I ever bought. That is excepting a 10/22 I got at 18 that was promptly stolen. I have had a love/hate relationship with this gun. It was purchased from a former roommate's father for $450. The price, I would find out, was probably a bit high, but it did come with extra mags, all of which were complete crap.

The rifle was a dirty, inaccurate, and a jamming PITA.

I learned how to take it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning. This took care of the first problem. It was the only easy fix.

I shot it once or twice, and could barely hit the target at 50 yards. Admittedly some of this was my poor marksmanship, but most of it was the gun. The "adjustable" peep sight was loose for one thing. Duh! So I tried to tighten it up and one of the screw's head split while I was tightening it and fell off. Doh! After a couple of months I got the screws replaced and got it adjusted. At this point I was able to put most rounds on a 12" target at fifty yards. Better, but still horrible. My latest endeavor was installing an Ultimak rail and a cheap red dot. This vastly improved the rifle's accuracy. Check out the mod section for more info on this little project. Let's just say, it followed the M.O. for the rest of the rifle.

As for jamming, it doesn't jam anymore. I quit using all the crappy mags it came with, and found a couple Ruger factory 30 rounders. These have functioned flawlessly.

The gun is now a fun gun to shoot. It is not as accurate as my AR, but it is acceptable. The Boy prefers the Mini to the AR. Go figure!

I have more in this gun than it is worth, so it will always be mine. Right now it is serving SHTF duty at the lake house.

Manufacturer's Website:
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

Pics:

Mods:
Ultimak Scout Rail

Links:
Perfect Union Mini 14/30 Forum

Specs:
Caliber: .223 Rem
Capacity: 5 Rounds (up to 30 with other mags)
Finish: Blued
Stock: Hardwood
Barrel Length: 18 1/2"
Groove: 6
Twist: 1:9" RH
Overall Length: 37 1/4"
Weight: 6 3/4 lbs
California Approved: N/A
Massachusetts Approved: N/A
Front Sight(s): Protected Blade
Rear Sight(s): Ghost Ring Adjustable Aperture
Other Features: Garand-Type Safety