Thursday, September 27, 2007

Marlin 917vs

Man, what a wait. This gun has been nearly three years in the making, and I am finally going to be able to shoot it in a couple weeks. It is ridiculous really. My beloved fiancée bought me this rifle for Christmas '05. It is a beautiful gun really. Nice stainless bull barrel, and green laminate stock. It shoots the .17 HMR round. I have been wanting to try this round out since I first heard of it's release, and I will finally be able to.

The rifle has no sights on it. This is the main reason I have not fired it. I really wanted to put together a nice affordable shooter with this one. Kim bought me a Mueller APV for it last Christmas. This is a nice affordable scope. The users at Rimfire Central helped design it. I have heard nothing but great things about it. Kim also said their customer service was excellent.

So I have had the scope for nearly a year now. I finally found the perfect mount for it I think. A BKL 261. This piece should be shipping today, and I will hopefully get it next week. I am busy next weekend (dang it!), but I WILL be taking it out to the range the following weekend.

From everything I have seen and heard over the last couple of years, this setup ought to be one heck of a shooter for the price. I plan to hit up the 100 yard range to see what I can do with it. Undoubtedly it will outshoot me, so hopefully I can get some respectable groups going. Look for a range report in a couple of weeks.

Manufacturer's Website:
Marlin Firearms

Pics:


Mods:
Mueller APV
BKL 261 Scope Mount

Links:
Fun Range Trip

Specs:
Caliber: 17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire
Capacity: 4-shot and 7-shot clip included
Action: Bolt action; thumb safety; red-cocking indicator.
Stock: Monte Carlo laminated gray / black hardwood with nickel-plated sling swivel studs; full pistol grip; rubber rifle butt pad; tough Mar-Shield® finish.
Barrel: Heavy 22" stainless steel (4 grooves)
Twist Rate: 1:9" r.h.
Sights: No sights provided, but receiver is grooved for scope mount; drilled and tapped for scope bases (scope bases included).
Overall Length: 41"
Weight: 7 lbs.