Monday, August 11, 2008

The Olympics

I watch the Olympics every chance I get when they are going on. Winter or Summer it doesn't matter.

For some reason the games have always held my interest. I don't know if it is the international competition, the uniqueness of the sports, the constant improvement in most of the sports, or the infrequency of the events that holds the most intrigue for me.

For now I will fore go the needed China bashing while the games are occurring. There is much that needs to change in that country, of which we are all aware.

The opening ceremony can only be described as an epic spectacle. It was completely amazing. The scale and precision were breathtaking to be sure. I have never witnessed anything even close to it. There were over 15,000 different performers involved.

As for the sports themselves my personal highlight so far was the amazing victory the American swimming team had in the 4x100m Freestyle Relay. They were not supposed to win, and it looked like they would not until the very end of the race. Michael Phelps swam the first leg, and the team was behind the favored French team until the last 10 meters or so.



This was one of the greatest sporting events I have ever seen. The French apparently said they were going to "smash" the Americans. Of course our boys were totally classy afterwards, and showed great sportsmanship in their win.

I also enjoyed our basketball team's smashing of China of course. This team is showing a lot of class thankfully after what had gone on in the previous two Olympics. I also watched a few volleyball matches, some gymnastics, and a very little bit of diving over the weekend.

Our house will be glued to the boob tube every night most likely.