Friday, November 9, 2007

This is Shocking, or Not

Apparently Pat Robertson has endorsed Rudy Giuliani for the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

This has to be one of the strangest things I have ever seen. As a Christian I have several severe problems with Rudy. Even leaving my religion out of the mix, Rudy just does not represent my morals and ideology as a conservative. He is for gay marriage, for government funded abortion, and is a gun grabber. These are extremely repugnant positions to me.

As a Christian I believe that God designed marriage to be between a man and a woman only. There is no wiggle room here. God's plan is for a man and woman to leave their parents, marry, become one, and reproduce. It is no coincidence that children raised in this situation are much more likely to become responsible contributing citizens, compared to those who are not. There, of course, are cases when this is not true. No serious argument that contradicts the value of traditional families is valid. This is of course a very mainstream conservative ideal. Actually, it is beyond that. Most of the laws that would ban gay marriage that have been presented to the voters, have been passed with healthy majorities all over the country. This is a mainstream issue for most Americans, regardless of party affiliation. The reason for this is quite simple. It is engineered into us by God. It is instinct to marry your spouse and pro-create.

The abortion issue is the main issue many Christians point towards when considering a candidate. The sanctity of human life is very important to us. We view all human life as sacred. Innocent babies certainly don't deserve to be killed. They deserve a chance to live and grow old. Abortion is antithema to my morals. It is the depraved murder of the unborn. The only time I see it as appropriate is if the mother's life is truly in danger. Please notice I did not say her health. That is a bogus term that leftists always throw around when they discuss limiting abortion. Any abortionist doctor can claim the woman's health is at risk. Pregnancy itself is a health risk.

Rudy is one of the most egregious attackers of the RKBA. He always has been, and always will be. It should not come as a shock to anyone that reads this blog, that I have a very serious problem with that. He has banned guns in NYC, sued gun manufacturers, and tried to take away our rights with the Brady crew. He may as well be Barbara Boxer on this issue.

These are the main reasons that I was shocked that Robertson endorsed him. Don't get me wrong here. I think Robertson is a kooky charlatan of a minister, but he claims to be a Christian. His nuttery has indeed crossed the line several times. Between his 9/11 and Katrina comments, his "word from God" about the elder Bush winning re-election, and his despicable support for Charles Taylor in Liberia, Robertson definitely does not represent me. I guess my shock at his endorsement should not come as much surprise after all of the stunts he has pulled in the past after all.