Monday, October 6, 2008

Train Ride

Friday I am going to take the Amtrak from Fort Worth, down to San Antonio. How exciting! I have never been on a train before, and am looking forward to it. My little roomette should be plenty of room for just me. Hopefully I will be able to get some good reading done. They have a lounge and dining car as well, that should be interesting. There will be about four stops, so it will take about three hours longer than driving would have.

It isn't much of an adventure of course, but it is mine. I was thinking of trying to get one of my old laptops working, and creating a blogpost about it. That would probably be very boring, but if I can breathe life into one of the old girls, it might happen.

There is something romantic about trains. The garden variety Amtrak rolling along through flat Texas won't capture the glamour and excitement of riding in an old lavishly appointed private car through the wild west or in the far east of course, but it will be a small taste.

I wish my wife and baby were coming with me, but they can't this time, so I will adventure alone. Frankenstein and Wise Blood (the first two books at the bottom of my reading list) will be with me however.