Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Arsenal Additions

Yea! I gots new guns.

The family arsenal has appreciated in size by three recently. This of course is anticipation of zombie hordes / Obama is elected / hadron collider black holes. There will hopefully be some more EBR goodness added before the election due to the Messiah's possible enshrinement, as none of the recent additions are of that persuasion.

The first purchase was made about a month ago. I purchased a nice looking MN 1891/30 to go along with his shorter cousin. Neither of these have been cleaned up or shot as of yet. Hopefully that will be accomplished sometime this winter. I need to find a place to shoot this surplus FMJ stuff, as the ranges around here are all scared of it for some reason. This example is a round receivered 1943 variant if I remember correctly.

Secondly, while buying a retiring Naval buddy a new XD-40 for his retirement last week (story to come later), I found that Cheaper Than Dirt had some neat little S&W 22a pistols on sale for $199. The evil dealer of death behind the counter informed me that this was the last example at that price. Bastard! So, after oohing and aahing over it's integral rail mount, and neato looking death sights I bought it. "It would be easy to put this on the same 4473.", he says. "Just tell the wife the XDs went up $200." I of course did not lie to the wife, as she has a keen eye for new guns entering the house, and lying to my better half is just something I don't do. She can smell new guns like a beagle on a rabbit trail anyway.

We already have a 22/45, but how can you have too many cheap plinker pistols? The answer of course is that you can't ever have to many. Rimfire rifles and pistols are a household good that should be plentiful in every home. If you don't own at least one of each, you should, and soon. While looking at the 22a I spied a S&W 41. Oh my, what a lovely pistol with a lovely price tag that one is. Maybe someday. It is hard to justify a $1000 plinker pistol.

At any rate, the 22a should be getting a workout this weekend with a few hundred rounds of Mini Mags. I am also going to shoot my latest addition for the second time. I bought Louise, as I have named her, yesterday and headed directly for the range. She gleefully chewed through a box of WWB .45 ACP, like it was nothing. I have never owned a more accurate pistol. I am a fairly lousy shot, and this new gun actually put up some nice groups for me. There is no doubt that it is far more accurate than I am.

So what did I get? Well, I got a brand new Kimber Custom CDP II. What a thing of beauty she is too. After looking at some lesser 1911s, some AKs, a DPMS .308 AR, I ended up picking Louise out of the group. The CDP stands for Custom Defense Package if my memory is working correctly. It is a very nice 1911 designed for concealed carrying, and that is exactly what it will be used for when I am legally able to do so. This pistol has all kinds of bells and whistles. Ambi-safety, match barrel, checkered grip, polished this and that, AL frame, adjustable trigger, night sights, and some othe features I probably didn't have to have. It is very sexy for sure, and in my brief testing shoots very, very well. I am in love. Louise is my favorite gun at the moment.

Pics of all three to come in the next couple of days.